My puffin jumper is not only my favourite piece of knitting, but probably my favourite piece of clothing, including shop bought things. I know I have written about it constantly, as I made it only a month or so ago, but I love it so much that it’s hard not too. The original pattern is by Kate Davies (whose blog is one of my favourites, and I’d recommend it for those of you who’ve never looked), and I shamelessly adapted it to work with a skein of noro that I’d been hoarding in my stash.
It is a long sleeved jumper with a beautiful, striped yoke in garter stitch. The finished jumper fits me like a glove – Kate provided a schematic that made it easy to make this happen. It’s also quite an easy piece to dress up or down as occasion suits, but my favourite way to wear it is with skinny jeans and a collared blouse.
I worked the body in a merino/cotton blend that is already looking a little worn, but it is for exactly that reason that I chose it to go with the noro – the two look good together. I still think that it will last me for a really long time – this one is never going near a washing machine or tumble dryer!
I know that I haven’t posted anything in quite a long time, but when Eskimimi Makes announced the launch of Knitting and Crochet Blog Week 2014 it seemed like the perfect time to share something new. That something happens to be my Puffin jumper, which is now completely finished, and that I absolutley adore. It is my favourite thing that I have ever knitted!
The pattern is Puffin, by Kate Davies and is published in her wonderful Colours of Shetland book. I knit mine using SMC Select extra soft merino cotton for the body and a single skein of Noro Silk Garden Sock for the yoke. The pattern uses different colours to make up the stripes in the yoke, but for me this was all about the Noro. It is the first time I have ever used it, as normally a yarn like that would be far out of my budget, but I was given this skein as a gift. I hid it in my stash, waiting for the perfect pattern to come along, when I realised that I already had the perfect pattern, it just hadn’t occurred to me before. I love the how it turned out – the yoke in the 34″ size was just right to match up with the colour changes in the Noro. Kate’s pattern is wonderfully written and easy to follow, and the jumper fits me like a glove.
Normally I crochet little granny squares from scrap sock yarn whilst I sit on the bus to work. Whilst those squares are destined to be part of a blanket that I’m determined will be amazing, they do rely on me actually having scrap sock yarn to hand. So, recently I have been working on something a little bit different.
Why yes, I have indeed crocheted a miniature yellow jumper. I have not taken leave of my senses, as it might appear, but am contributing to an initiative by Harrogate City Council to decorate their town in preparation for le Tour de France.
For those of you who do not follow either elite road cycling or the fortunes of Yorkshire as a county, it has been selected to play host to le Grand Depart 2014. This is the start of the tour, and there will be two days of racing in Yorkshire. Harrogate are aiming to string bunting made of tiny knitted/crocheted jerseys through the town, and they have called the project le Tour de Bunting. As I like bunting, making things and le tour de France I wanted to get involved. I also really do like the name!
They are hoping to get bunting made in the colours of all the prize jerseys, but I thought I would start with the yellow, because it is the most iconic one. The project is really short of the King of the Mountain jerseys, so I might make a few of them as well. They need stranded colourwork though, as they are white with red polka dots, so would be quite a bit of extra effort!
The little cape that I was crocheting is all done. This is the first substantial bit of crochet that I have done in a long time, and I’m really pleased with it. So, without further ado, here are some pictures of the finished article.
The original pattern called for some long chains with pompoms at the end to be used as a closure, but I much prefer the look of the button and loop fastening that I went for. I also did a totally different collar – mine is just a few rounds of double crochet, with a bit of a decrease on the corners at the front to make them curvy. The pattern had a full collar, but I found that it wouldn’t turn down properly and it looked a bit odd when it was stood up, because the front edges crossed over one another.
The puffin jumper that I started in my last post was going along nicely, I have knit from the bottom up, all though the waist shaping, and the progress has been surprisingly quick. Then I hit a small snag – it was time for me to make the sleeves. Not that sleeves are a problem in themselves, but I set about hunting for the 2.75 mm DPNs that I needed and was fairly confident I owned. They didn’t seem to be in any of the places where I keep needles – either the cases that I intend to, or the pen pots on my desk, or the drawer of my bedside table. Then it struck me, I couldn’t find them anywhere because they were already in some knitting, namely my neon socks. So, as I rather wanted the needles back, I pushed on and finished them. It didn’t actually take too long at all, and here are the results:
There was finally a break in the weather, so I can present to you my finished multidirectional scarf. I loved knitting this (I’m ever so slightly addicted to garter stitch) and I know that it will get a lot of wear. So here we have the whole thing:
And a close-up so that you can see all of the lovely colours: